Saturday, February 22, 2014

Well, that's a surprise

Hey all!

So I've been focused on eating a little better and exercising more for about seven weeks now.  I'm down about 8-10 pounds.  I lost that bit of weight I gained back during the "blizzard," and am trying to reach my new goal: 16 pounds (to get under 200) by our move-out date in our current apartment: June 25th.  It comes down to about one pound per week.  This should be manageable, and I am hoping to lose a little more than that, but this also allows for weeks where I gain (everybody gains at some point, right?).

Since I've been losing weight and eating better, I've noticed a few non-weight-loss related things that are also happening.  I want to be clear though; while we have been eating better (no fast food, very limited junk food, and really cut down on extra condiments) we have also had cheat-days or cheat-lunches.  If we have something we aren't really supposed to, like Chipotle, Papa Murphy's, or the new and only good Mexican restaurant we've found out here in Portland, we try to have it for lunch, do a light dinner, and make sure to work out those days.  I told you, we aren't trying to go crazy with calorie counting.  I always eat a healthy breakfast, Cheerios, English Muffins, or Hard-Boiled Eggs, but lunch can get a little murky.

Anyway, interesting side-effects of weight-loss have included: cravings for things I never had much interest in.  I now pine for chocolate.  I never really went for too many desserts.  I like ice cream, I like baking, but Tim is usually the one who eats the brownies I make.  Now that I've been eating better, I want all the chocolate I can get.  It's been really strange--anyone else have something like that happen?
Next side-effect: moderate exercise- usually cardio, has been helping get rid of my headaches.  In most cases, exercise seems to trigger headaches, so this was an added bonus, but it does happen!  It doesn't help when I have migraines- I've been getting them a lot since we moved out to Oregon, but for headaches that are about to morph into migraines, I hop on the exercise bike for about 30 mins and it helps a lot.  Strength training absolutely makes it worse!  So, be careful if you try it!  I'm not even a little bit like a doctor.
Another awesome bonus: clearer skin!  Boom!  I've had trouble with breakouts on my face since I was in high school.  It's gotten a lot better that I am older, but wow!  It's been great with eating healthier and working out 3+ times a week.  I try to drink a lot of water, but I have trouble with it, so I think it's just the healthier food choices that are really helping!

Slightly bad news, now that I've found a routine that works for me, I'm starting to get a little bored with it.  I'm going to check out a Pilates class, and maybe brave a Zumba class at our local rec center.  Tim and I went hiking today, and had a great time!  We might have ruined it a bit by getting Mexican food after, but I'm still under the calories for today!  It was so pretty out, and such a nice change from the tiny fitness center at our apartment.  We went to a local park, and went off the paved walking-path and braved the hiking trail.




Tim's birthday is coming up this week, so we are going to explore the Oregon Coast!  We are planning on walking a lot on our trip, and doing a lot of sightseeing.  Exercising can be really fun when you're looking at something pretty (the landscape, not my man).

If you have tips on fun exercises, please share them!  I'll keep you updated on things that are fun that also burn calories, (we torched about 500 calories hiking in less than an hour!)

Biggest surprise of this week, I like hiking! I also like clearer skin (no foundation on my face for the first time pretty much ever), and less headaches!  And I feel pretty badass after an awesome workout. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment